- Using your mobile phone or tablet, record a 3 to 4 minute selfie video of the piece you will compete with. The deadline for video submissions: August 30, 2017.
- The Tierra 47 Artistic Committee -integrated by harpists Maryén Muñoz, Marcela Méndez, Ángel Padilla and Susana Cermeño – will review all the videos received and preselect ten works.
- From the ten-video preliminary selection, an international jury composed of four harp and improvisation maestros will determine a First, Second and Third Prize.
- The quality of the video recording will not be considered, but rather the musical proposal presented -both in its conceptual audacity and in its aesthetic and technical qualities.
- The winners will be announced on October 21, 2017 during the Tierra_47 Competition Awards Ceremony (‘400 Auditorium’ of the Reina Sofia Museum, 20:30 p.m.). The contestant’s attendance is not mandatory during the the Awards Ceremony for the acceptance of the prize.
You have to practice improvisation,
let no one kid you about it!
Improvisation, both free and structured, explores new methods of extending the pedal harp’s voice to develop new languages and challenge the current stereotype of the instrument. The aim is for the pedal harp to better respond to the wide variety of contexts available in current times, both in Solo performances and in collaboration with other instruments.
Tierra 47 puts on the heat on today’s harp scene.
Tierra 47 encourages contestants to extract the unique resonance of the pedal harp and unleash its capacity for producing darkness, subtlety and texture.
Tierra 47 invites harpists to play about and enjoy it, providing them with a space to do so. As if no one was watching. As if there was no winner.
Tierra 47 grants harpists the freedom to express themselves and to explore in their own language.
Tierra 47 aspires to project and propagate the harp to an unexposed audience that lazily associates it as a classical instrument without noticing its qualities as an urban instrument.